Plastic Surgeons of Alaska
Alaska Regional Hospital
2741 Debarr Road #215
Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: (907) 563-2002
Fax: (907) 562-7628
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Juvéderm® Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers can help fill hollows and soften fine lines and wrinkles on the face, lips, jawline, and chest. At our Anchorage medical spa, we offer the Juvéderm® collection of fillers to help people from Wasilla, Palmer, and other Mat-Su Valley communities instantly address concerns like smile lines, marionette lines, neck bands, sagging cheeks, volume loss due to aging, and much more.
Choosing a Medical Spa
Aesthetic nurses, or nurse injectors, administer injectables such as BOTOX® Cosmetic and cosmetic fillers to their patients; however, there must be oversight by a medical director for consultation or in the event of an emergency. Medical directors develop policies and procedures in compliance with state regulations, and with patient safety above all. Ideally, the medical director should be a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist, as they have a background in aesthetic medicine and can properly supervise injectable procedures and treatments.
Plastic Surgeons of Alaska is the only medical spa in Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, and the Kenai Peninsula with board-certified plastic surgeons on staff.
To schedule an appointment, please call (907) 563-2002 today.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
Juvéderm® dermal fillers are made from hyaluronic acid (HA) and are injected into the upper layers of skin tissue to provide a variety of improvements, including:
- Filling and softening folds and wrinkles around the mouth
- Restoring volume to the cheeks, around the eyes, and backs of hands
- Plumping and defining lips
- Shaping the chin, jawline, and nose
What Are Hyaluronic Acid Fillers?
Hyaluronic acid, a substance found in all living organisms, is a key ingredient in injectable fillers used to correct fine lines and wrinkles in the skin. It is one of the components of the skin that gives fullness to the tissues. Hyaluronic acid is identical to human HA but is formed in the laboratory. It does not come from animals or humans, so allergic reactions are rare, and test dosing is not needed. Hyaluronic acid is approved by the FDA and has been used since 1996 worldwide. It is completely reabsorbed by the body and as such, the results of the injection cannot be considered to be permanent.
Hyaluronic acid injections produce results similar to collagen injections but last about twice as long and have fewer allergic reactions. It works differently than BOTOX® Cosmetic (which weakens muscle activity) but may be used in conjunction with BOTOX® to treat stubborn areas.
What’s a Liquid Facelift?
People with early signs of aging or those who aren’t interested in surgery may benefit from a combination of dermal fillers and BOTOX® called a liquid facelift. This comprehensive facial rejuvenation treatment takes advantage of each treatment’s benefits, which include:
- Dermal fillers restore volume to the cheeks, temples, and brow area and under the eyes. They also address folds and creases around the mouth, such as smile lines (nasolabial folds) and marionette lines.
- BOTOX® smooths out crow’s feet at the corners of the eyes, horizontal forehead lines, and vertical lines between the eyebrows. It can also provide a subtle brow lift.
Advanced aging may require surgery such as a facelift and neck lift.
Lip injections are a popular treatment option for adults of all ages who want more beautiful lips.
Which filler is best for lips?
We use a few different Juvederm® fillers for lip injections, including:
- Juvéderm® Volbella (formulated specifically for the lips)
- Juvéderm® Ultra
- Juvéderm® Ultra Plus
What are lip fillers used for?
Lip fillers can enhance the lips in a variety of ways, including:
- Adding fullness to naturally thin lips
- Plumping up lips that have thinned and flattened with age
- Defining lip borders to prevent lipstick bleed
- Balancing the proportion of the top and bottom lips
Results from lip injections are instant and last about 12 months. Expect minor redness and swelling for the first few days.
Meet Our Surgeons
Our surgeons are uniquely talented and share a dedication to providing our patients the type of personalized care that has established Plastic Surgeons of Alaska as the premier practice in the state.Request My Consultation
A strong, well-defined jawline is an important part of your face’s frame, adding balance to your other facial features. Yet as we age, sagging skin, jaw muscle loss, and accumulating fat in the upper neck cause us to lose that vital jaw contour. As the first filler approved by the FDA to improve moderate to severe jawline definition, Juvéderm Volux® XC addresses those concerns, sculpting your jaw to the look you want. The filler lasts up to 12 months and is an excellent complement to other facial fillers.
What To Expect
Using a fine needle or cannula, your provider injects filler into the targeted wrinkles or areas where volume is needed. Using their training and experience, our plastic surgeons use dermal fillers to reverse the signs of aging, softening and improving skin’s appearance to help you look your best. The results are instant and natural-looking.
What Are the Risks Associated with Dermal Fillers?
As with any medical treatment, there are associated risks. These include but are not limited to the following.
- Injection-associated risks of discomfort, redness, swelling, infection, bruising, bleeding at the site, itching, and tenderness may occur. Although these effects usually are gone in a few hours, they may last a couple of days and possibly up to a week. Swelling may be treated by applying ice.
- Visible lumps may occur following the injection. Rarely, these may form little pustules that require additional treatment.
- Uneven settling of hyaluronic acid may require additional injections to achieve the desired effect.
- Multiple initial injections may be required to fill deeper wrinkles and folds.
- Repeat injections will be needed to achieve long-term correction due to the complete reabsorption of hyaluronic acid.
- Depending on the area(s) and volumes of treatment, a local anesthetic may be required to provide comfort during the injection. Allergic reactions to the local medication can occur.
As with any cosmetic procedure, there is no guarantee that you will be satisfied with the results of the treatment. There is no guarantee that wrinkles and folds will be treated effectively with only one injection: multiple injections may be required to achieve the desired result. Even the best results are only temporary and repeat injections may be required as early as every 6 months.
Dermal Filler Alternatives
Alternatives to dermal filler injections include:
- No treatment
- Collagen injections
- Reinjection of your own body fat following removal by liposuction (in special cases)
Costs of treatment complications may not be covered by your medical insurance.
Dermal Fillers FAQ
Are dermal fillers safe?
Our experienced injectors use only FDA-approved dermal fillers and carefully screen each patient before treatment, making these injections very safe. JUVÉDERM and other HA fillers are reversible if you are not happy with your results.
How long do fillers last?
Filler results last 6 months to 2 years, depending on the filler used and the area treated.
Is there anything I should avoid after getting lip fillers?
For optimal results and to minimize discomfort, avoid the following for the first day or two after lip injections:
- Strenuous exercise
- Hot or spicy food and drinks
- Lipstick, lip balm, and lip gloss
- Using a drinking straw
- Kissing (more than a peck)
- Exfoliating the lips
- Excessive sun exposure
Is it okay to sleep on your side after getting dermal fillers?
To minimize swelling and bruising and attain the best-looking results, elevate your head with an extra pillow or two while sleeping for the first 24 to 48 hours.
Is jawline filler worth it?
Fillers can be a simple, no-downtime solution for patients with an appropriate facial bone structure who want to add definition and do not have significant laxity or jowling. Jawline fillers can enhance the results of cheek fillers and other nonsurgical treatments to balance and contour facial features.