Plastic Surgeons of Alaska
Alaska Regional Hospital
2741 Debarr Road #215
Anchorage, AK 99508
Phone: (907) 563-2002
Fax: (907) 562-7628
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Aaron Berhanu, MD
Dr. Aaron Berhanu is a plastic surgeon with extensive training in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery practicing in Anchorage. Dr. Berhanu’s dedication to his patients’ success can be appreciated both inside and outside of the operating room. His careful attention to detail and relentless pursuit of optimal surgical results is balanced by his relaxed, personable style.
Education & Training
Dr. Berhanu earned his bachelor’s degree in biology with honors from Stanford University. He then completed his medical degree at Harvard Medical School and simultaneously completed a master’s program at Harvard Business School.
He completed plastic surgery residency at the University of Washington in Seattle, where he received a diverse training in reconstructive and cosmetic surgery throughout the body. His training provided an expertise in breast reconstruction after mastectomy/lumpectomy, extremity reconstruction after trauma, body contouring after massive weight loss, and aesthetic procedures.
Dr. Berhanu was born in California and raised in Walla Walla, Washington. His wife is from Juneau and works as a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines. Dr. Berhanu enjoys cooking, traveling with his wife, and spending time with friends and family.
- Biological Sciences, Bachelor of Science with Departmental Honors in Cellular and Molecular, Stanford University, 08/2004 – 06/2008
- Biology, Medical Doctorate, Harvard Medical School,08/2011 – 05/2016
- Master of Business Administration, Harvard Business School, 08/2014 – 05/2016
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Integrated, University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Seattle, WA, 06/2016 to present, expected graduation 06/23/2022
- University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals, Resident Physician, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 06/2016 to present, expected graduation 06/23/2022
- Physician Temporary Permit, State of Alaska; Issued: 03/07/2022, Expires: 09/07/2022
- Physician and Surgeon License, Washington State; Issued: 04/19/2021, Expires: 04/23/2023
- Physician and Surgeon Residency License, Washington State; Issued: 06/10/2016, Expired: 07/31/2021
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Resident Member, 06/2016 to present
- The Aesthetic Society, Resident Member. 03/2022 to present
- Berhanu AE, Pauli NP. Not just a ‘runny nose’: a case of spontaneous CSF rhinorrhea for a common symptom (2014). British Medical Journal Case Reports. PubMed ID: 25150242.
- Berhanu AE, Talbot SG. The ‘inside-out’ technique for ventral hernia repair with mesh underlay (2015). Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open Access. 3(6):e422. PubMed ID: 26180723.
- Chen CA, Park RJ, Jedge JV, Jun T, Christina MP, Yoo SM, Yamasaki A, Berhanu A, Vohra-Khullar P, Remus K, Schwartzstein RM, Weinstein AR. How we used a patient visit tracker tool to advance experieitnal learning in systems-based practice and quality improvement in a medical student clinic (2016). Medical Teaching. 38(1):36-40. PubMed ID: 25401409.
- Frederick MJ, Berhanu AE, Bartlett R. Chest surgery in female to male transgender individuals (2017). Annals of Plastic Surgery. 78(3):249-253. PubMed ID: 27845966.
- Papp AA, Berhanu AE, Thomas MR, Pham TN. Interrupting the seams: The principle of preventative burn surgery (2019). Burns Open. 3: 121-125.